CWC (Camsur Watersports Complex) prides itself as the best wakepark in the world. This is not an empty claim, as I have heard countless times from wakeboarders all over the world- professional or otherwise- that CWC (or Cdub, as it is sometimes known) is truly a wakeboarding paradise. The park’s features and the people (those already here and those who come visit, I say) collectively make it the best place to hang out and enjoy the sport. Have you ever wondered why there are a lot of videos featuring CWC when it comes to wakeboarding? Just try searching for wakeboarding and wakeskating videos on Vimeo and Youtube and you will see that the biggest stars in wakeboarding and wakeskating have an edit (a film) of them riding at CWC. I did not know this a couple of years ago. But now that I do, I hope that in my own little way I will be able to spread this good news to my fellow Filipinos. It is something that we should be truly proud of.
Photo from @visitcamsur. (c) Teejay Rodriguez
International contests and the biggest teams in this sport have been to CWC and continue to do so because of its amazing features and the chill vibe of the place. However, I have always encountered this – I don’t wakeboard. What can I do aside from wakeboarding in CWC? A lot, actually. Aside from learning how to wakeboard at the beginner’s lake, you can actually do a lot of fun activities here. More than a year ago, I came here afraid to even take a dip in the pool because I don’t know how to swim! Now I am sharing you some of the fun stuff you can do while staying at this amazing place. I came up with a list of things that you can do apart from wakeboarding-
1. EAT. CWC has a restaurant that offers tasty fare ranging from Filipino, American to several Asian-inspired dishes. Best-sellers would be the Bicolano Pizza and Bicol Express. Personally, I love the Chicken Inasal (pretty good marinade) Beef Villanueva (there’s a little bit of beer in its sauce and it tastes good!) and the Fried Ibos ala Mode for dessert (that’s fried sticky rice topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream sprinkled with crushed pili nuts- yum!).
2. SWIM. There are 2 pools you can choose from – one beside the main cable and one at the Villas. It’s a perfect place for the family to have fun altogether.
Photo from @visitcamsur
3. MASSAGE. CWC has some of the best massage therapists! Some of them have been with CWC for years hence, the countless practice that they had on the job. You can have your massage on quaint little huts beside the main cable for an amazing view. Or you can also have it in the privacy of your cabin, just in case you fall asleep after such a relaxing one.
4. SKATE. The skatepark at CWC, just behind the Clubhouse, is (I think) the first skatepark built by a local government unit. I am always happy to see kids playing there, usually on weekends. So if you’re into skating, don’t forget to bring your board when you come over at Cdub.
5. HOT SPRINGS + MALABSAY FALLS. I know this is already outside CWC but most of the people I have encountered here need to go out and take a break from riding after some time. The hot springs at Panicuason is a good place to relax and soothe those sore muscles if you’re too tired from riding. A short trek further will take you to Malabsay waterfalls, if you like to be surrounded by nature and then maybe swim in its cold waters.
Photo from @visitcamsur.
6. WATERFALL-HOPPING + DEER FARM. This is another option that’s near CWC – exploring Consocep Mountain Resort at the slopes of Mt. Isarog where you can see 3 waterfalls: Tumaguite, Bulalacao and Kawa-kawa falls. You can also drop by the deer farm on the way there- it’s quite an experience.
Photo from @visitcamsur.
Photo from @visitcamsur
Photo by @mariusoczon.
7. RAIL SKATES. If you’re game for a different riding experience, try taking the rail skates to Naga. It’s a 30-minute ride along the rail tracks on a motorized platform that gives one a view of the Camsur countryside. It also makes for good videos!
Photo from @visitcamsur. (c) Jovi Villareal
8. JOG or BIKE. Do this early in the morning around Lago del Rey or maybe even around the entire Capitol Complex and be able to witness a spectacular sunrise, with majestic Mt. Isarog as an amazing backdrop.
One early morning run around Lago Del Rey.
9. PARTY. Happy Ending Bar is just beside Cdub’s Clubhouse and near the dock at the main cable where some of the craziest parties usually happen. Believe me, it can get crazy sometimes.
10. PEOPLE-WATCHING. Ah, everyone’s favorite pastime. Just chill at the dock and watch the people ride, chat, eat, whatever. Best done with a cold beer in hand. You might even make a new friend 🙂
Photo from @visitcamsur. (c) Francis Espina
That’s it. I hope this helps. If you can think of anything else, or you have some suggestions, feel free to comment and share with me your thoughts.
PS: Follow @visitcamsur for photos and updates on Camsur tourism. Tag @visitcamsur on your Camsur photos, too!
Oops that’s me flying a kite near the pool. Photo by @mariusoczon